Tobacco, as an important traditional cash crop and special agricultural product in China, has been severely affected by the widespread occurrence of root-knot nematodes in major tobacco-growing areas in recent years, seriously impacting the development of the tobacco industry.
Currently, root-knot nematodes are prevalent in Yunnan, Sichuan, Guizhou, and Henan provinces, and the affected areas are constantly expanding with increasing damage each year. The incidence rate of infected plants ranges from 4.7% to 84.6% in normal years, and sometimes can reach as high as 100%. The affected area can account for up to 35% of the total tobacco cultivation area.
What are root-knot nematodes, and why do they have such a powerful impact on tobacco production, causing reduced yield or complete crop failure?
Root-knot nematodes mainly overwinter as eggs, egg sacs, and larvae on the roots of the host plant and become a source of infection the following year. In the field, they can be spread through irrigation, tillage, and transplantation of infected seedlings or the use of manure containing nematodes. When conditions are suitable, nematode eggs in the soil begin to hatch, and the larvae invade the host plant through the root epidermis.
Nematodes feed on the root epidermal cells by piercing them with their stylet. As a result of the nematode's feeding, large multinucleated cells are formed by the excessive division of cortical cells, forming galls around the nematode. This seriously affects the tobacco plant's ability to absorb nutrients and water, leading to yellowing, wilting, or even death of the aboveground parts and causing reduced yield or complete crop failure.
In order to minimize the damage caused by root-knot nematodes, it is essential for tobacco growers to carry out early preventive measures. Two highly effective and well-reputed products are recommended:
Ligenda (Abamectin 1% GR)
1. Choose Abamectin B2 as an active ingredient, highly effective in controlling root-knot nematodes, which can kill them quickly, safely, and no residue.
2. Adopt slow-release production technique, with an effective period of up to 2-3 months, and a single application can kill nematodes multiple times.
3. Select a natural organic matter adsorption carrier, which is safe for crops and can be in direct contact with seedlings and seeds.
4. The particle size of Ligenda is consistent with that of fertilizer particles, making it suitable for mixing with fertilizers and machine seeding.
Nematix (Fosthiazate 5% + Oligosaccharins 1% EW)
1. Excellent material selection: Oligosaccharins uses deep-sea organisms from the Arctic Circle as their raw material, and the active ingredient of Fosthiazate is imported from international famous brand, ensuring high purity and stable quality.
2. It has a stable and long-lasting effect, takes effect quickly, and can kill both adults and eggs.
3. High safety and no resistance, it can efficiently control nematodes, underground pests, and various soil-borne diseases.
4. Improve crop growth, repair root wound, promote rooting, improve crop quality, and increases yield and income.
Target: root-knot nematode
Recommended Usage: Before transplanting tobacco, soil treatment can be done using Ligenda granules by hole application, strip application, or furrow application, with a usage rate of 50-60 kilograms per hectare.
Treatment group The blank control group